Thursday, 10 September 2009

The Turkey Bear Problem

The below quote is from an interview in the Observer Magazine with Jeff Koons.

At a certain point, I realised I needed to have other people work with me because I wanted to control the production. At the end of the day, it's exactly the same responsibility. As long as you are making the gesture that you want to make, it's the same. Plus, sometimes, if you are involved in making a work from start to finish, sitting and painting or whatever, the material can seduce you and you can just get lost in the journey. You can set out to make a turkey and end up making a bear. When you have more distance, you can make clearer decisions."

I'd always imagined that being seduced by the material was one of the good things about being an artist and that worrying about the bear / turkey thing was for the rest of us.